The Ombre Effect

White Sheet Project – Part 1

This is my first offical garment as part of the White Sheet Project. I made this maxi dress from the complete white flat sheet. The dress is a heavily modified version of this Style pattern I stole from my mum a while back. And in case you were wondering, why yes, I did included the pockets.

When I last made this (way before blogging) I realised just how much ease this thing had, so I removed a lot of it. I cut the dress pieces on the fold instead of the original design which had centre front and back seams. I used elastic at the neck and sleeves because I'm lazy and it was much easier than making ties.

Once the dress was mostly constructed, I start the spray painting. I only inserted the elastic in the neck before painting so it could hang up, but left it out of the sleeves. I'm trying to spend as little as possible and use what I've got for this project so the fabric spray paints I used were a mixture of acrylic paints (mixed up to my 4 desired colours), fabric fixative medium and water. I loaded the paint into an old spray bottle and started at the bottom. I discovered pretty early on that I required a lot more water than I thought I would to get the quantity and consistancy I needed to spray this dress. This actually made the paint sink into the fabric better.

I sprayed the four colours in the ombre gradient in bands up the dress until I had this. (You can see part 2 in the background).
Then I let it dry. The combination of the water in the paint and gravity caused the colours to blend into one another more than I had originally designed and the final effect is quiet blotchy and uneven, but I think it adds to the effect.
Once the paint was dry, I threw this in the tumble dryer for about a half an hour to try and set the paint. I stitched some elastic at the waist to draw the dress and and give some shape and definition to the dress even when worn without a belt and used my overlocker to give the bottom a rolled hem. The paint did give the fabric a crisper feel, but I'm hoping with a few washes, it will soften up. The paint also made this dress less see-through. Although I thought the bands of colour would be more pronounced, I really like they way my original design has been actualised. On to Part 2.

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Refashioning, Sewing

One response to “The Ombre Effect

  1. Pingback: The Monet Experiment | mangoesinsyrup

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s