The White Sheet Project – Planning

A couple of months ago, whilst I was cleaning and re-organising my linen press, I discovered I had more white flat sheets and pillow cases than we are really ever going to have cause to need. This linen overflow was the result of many years of buy cheaper poly cotton low thread count sheet sets. The fitted sheets ripped before too long, and were thrown out, leaving their flat sheets and pillow cases orphaned in my cupboard. We never really used the flat sheets, they just came in the sets and just sat there. To add insult to injury fabric to project, one of my good cotton sateen fitted sheets tore just after I cleaned out the linen press, so I added that ripped sheet to the cause. I have thoroughly washed and dried all this linen in the beautiful sunshine.

  • 8 White poly cotton pillow cases which are 45 cm x 72 cm
  • 1 White poly cotton queen flat sheet approximately 2.3 m x 2.5 m
  • 1 White poly cotton queen flat sheet reminant approximately 2.3 m x 1.5 m (after this sheet was liberated from the linen press, it was used to make muslins and lining of this dress and the lining of this coat.)
  • 1 White cotton sateen queen fitted sheet, ripped measuring about 1.5 m x 2m ish

When looking at those numbers, that's quiet a lot of fabric. The poly cotton may not have been the best fabric choice for sheets, but not a bad choice for some light weight spring/summer garments. And so, “The White Sheet Project” was born. The aims of this challenge are threefold:

  1. In the spirit of “Make do and mend”, making garments out of something that I would have discarded
  2. Seeing how many items I can get out of all this fabric
  3. Coming up with new and different ways to embellish or change the plain white fabric

I have already started planning the garments I'm thinking of making, as seen in my previous post about croquis. The first garments I'll try and make are the maxi dress with the ombre fabric spray paint effect, asymmetrical circle skirt that has been hand printed, a version of the Pastille dress from the Colette Sewing Handbook, a plain white tank top with scallop hem and maybe a white half slip to go under all these semi sheer garments. After these are done, I'll figure out what I can get out of whatever fabric is remaining, if any thing is left.

And so, with that in mind, let the challenge commence.

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Refashioning, Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s