A while back, in my perpetual hunt for a fabric mecca, I journeyed up to a fabric shop in Invanhoe. They claimed to have Melbourne's greatest range of jersey knit fabric, but when I got there I was seriously dissappointed. I was after some great patterned casual knit fabric, but the cupboard was bare and what they did have was rather expensive. As I had made all the effort to drive there (ok, most of the effort was getting my son in and out of the car, but effort is effort) I felt like I should buy something. So, I came home with 1 metre each of a white and cream jersey with no stretch, which promptly went into my stash never to be sewn again (haha yes I meant that pun). Or so I thought, but as I was sewing up my toiles for the Elisalex dress from an old white sheet, I started seeing this top unfold. I barely let my sewing machine have time to miss me between finishing my first Elisalex and making this variation of it.
As I planned to omit the zip I was a little unsure as to how much ease I would need to give myself to be able to get in and out of it easily enough. I cut the centre back piece as 1 whole piece, placing the centre edge of the pattern piece, seam allowance and all on the fold, thinking I would need the extra wriggle room. I didn't, and in the end had to remove all the excess fabric by sewing a seam straight up the middle of the back. So, clearly the fabric had just enough give to leave out the zip without any need to add more ease. I still used the 5/8″ seam allowance and sewed this up using my overlocker. The peplum is a self drafted full circle. I also did change the neckline just a bit. I finished the neck of with binding made from the same fabric, folded the cuffs and just used a straight stitch and used my newly discovered ability to do a rolled hem on the peplum. The hem is a little uneven, as I didn't let it hang at all before I hemmed it, but it's not too bad.
All in all, I love this top and this pattern. I see many more variations in the future.