Unfinished business

Hi, remember me? I used to post here on this blog a while back.

I lost a bit of my sewing and blogging mojo after Me-Made-May. The general crazy state my life as a stay at home mum to my two children, a dose of the flu (yay winter) and boring chores all played a part in my absence. But mostly I was Sew Depressed after seeing all the wonderful summer dresses and outfits put together by all the lovely bloggers out there. Have you every been Sew Depressed? I coined this term to explain my recent state of mind. I wished I could be sewing great dresses and skirts, fabulous peplum tops and the like, but I was being stopped by that nasty thing called practicality. Who invited him to the party? I came to the realisation that full skirted dresses and pencil skirts are not really practical wear for running after kids and general horsing about. Also, we're in the middle of winter here, so lots of layers and generally pants. Boo! Therefore, I never did a post about all the unblogged pieces I wore during Me-Made-May. So here it is.

I found this skirt at the op-shop for $4 about a year ago. I had grand plans to refashion this and another denim shirt into a dress, but it just sat there in my ever growing pile. I replaced the buttons with some vintage buttons I bought and moved their placements for a better fit. I unpicked the straps and tried to work with them to form braces, but I scrapped that plan and just continued with the rest of the refashion. I shortened the length and added a pocket made from the bottom of the skirt, because, what good is a skirt without pockets. I'm still not sure if the length is right.

This is my stampede top, that was a dress, but was always meant to be a top. I just folded it in half and gave it a high low hem.

This skirt is made from a thrifted cot sheet. I actually finished this skirt at the start of the year, and I started it about a year or two before that. When I originally started this, I cut the skirt using the whole width of the skirt. When I then gathered the skirt the skirt was too bulky, so it sat in the pile until I figured out what I had done wrong. After I had made my first Darling Ranges dress, I finally figured it out. Every time I had previously self drafted skirts, I used too much width. So, using the back pattern from the Darling Ranges dress for both the front and back, I found I had enough left over to cut out matching pockets. YAY, pockets! I put it togther as per the Darling Ranges instructions and then added an elastic waist band (selvedged from another failed project).

Pyjama pants, what can I really say here? I used a thrifted sheet and an old pair of pyjama pants that I was trying to replace.

And that's that, I think. I should hopefully be back later this week to post about my current project.

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Me-Made-May '13, Refashioning, Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s