The Stampede Dress

In Australia, you really have to go out of your way to find good fabric and sometimes standard fabric too. And when you find it, you pay through the nose. I was just looking for some simple cotton jersey to make some t shirts, but at Spotlight, I could only find polyester jersey or great blends, but all in weird colours. As I can buy a new t shirt from Kmart for $4, it really wasn’t worth hunting down the fabric and then making the t shirt myself. But one of the main problems with buy RTW is that is often isn’t exactly what you want. What I wanted was a boyfriend style loose t shirt, so I thought that a mens shirt would be a better option, then I could alter it to fit. I came home with this mens 4XL t shirt.

I lay the shirt down, inside out, and traced around my favourite t shirt. Then, I took to it with the overlocker. I was going to check the fit, then cut and hem the top to the desired length and shape (I was thinking a high low hem).

When I saw the top after this step, I realised it was almost a dress. A bit short, but ok with leggings or tights and changed my mind, for the moment, as to the destiny of this garment.

White is great for a t shirt, but a bit plain for a t shirt dress. So I combined this with something else I’ve wanted to try for a while, fabric paint stamping. I’ve seen quite a few projects with stamped fabric and garments using self carved stamps. As I neither had the tools required or the skill, I cheated. I raided my daughters foam sticker collection and found some pegasus stickers. With his wings removed, and a few stacked on top of one another, I had this cute horse stamp.

I gather my supplies and started stamping. I wanted the fabric paint to match my Autumn/Winter palette, so I mixed acrylic paints to the desired colour and then added equal parts of a fabric fixative. In hindsight, I should have started at the back, instead of the front, as it took me a few attempts to get the hang of stamping a clean and clear image.

After I finished stamping the dress, I left it to dry for 24 hours. The fabric fixative instructions recommend fixing the paint by ironing the fabric, but as I was feeling lazy (something new and different for me), I threw it in the tumble drying for 30 minutes instead. So, we’ll see if that fixes the paint or not.

And here’s the finished product. I had to wait for the weather to be cool enough to wear this, and we got rain! I’m not sure if this will stay a dress or not, time will tell.

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under Refashioning, Sewing

5 responses to “The Stampede Dress

  1. I never cease to be amazed at how creative my fellow bloggers are. This is really quite an amazing make-over. When I saw the oversized white t-shirt, I thought. hmm… no idea what she’ll do with this. To see the final result is is very inspiring. Most impressive!

  2. Pingback: Me-Made-May ’13 Week 1 | mangoesinsyrup

  3. Pingback: Me-Made-May ’13 – Week 3 | mangoesinsyrup

  4. Pingback: Me-Made-May ’13 – Week 4 | mangoesinsyrup

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s