Hi, it's been a while. I've still been very busy sewing and crafting, I just haven't posted since October. I misplaced my iPad keyboard which made typing a post a bit difficult, and then life in the form of a 5th birthday party and Christmas got in the way. Yesterday I found my keyboard, so it must have been a sign that I need to get back on the blogging wagon this year.
So, I'm just going to have a quick look at my sewing New Years resolutions I made this time last year, before I plough, head first, into 2014.
2013 Sewing New Years Resolutions
1. Re-organise and tidy up my sewing supplies. Well, they looked nice when I did this at the start of the year.
2. Sew more practical things that I can and will actually wear. Moderately successfully on this one.
3. Sew more muslins before I make the final garment. Yes, I definately learning the value of making a muslin before I cut into that good fabric.
4. Make a few variations of the Darling Ranges dress to learn how to utilitise a pattern to its fullest. I only completed two dresses, but I've used the skirt and pocket pieces constantly.
5. Shop my stash first. Well, I've not done too bad with this, but I have kept adding to my ever-growing my stash with some great op-shop finds. Not too many new-new fabric purchase though.
6. TRY (emphasis on try) to empty my WIP basket. I did finish a few things in there, got rid of a few and I think I'm over the rest.
7. Try not to over think things, when I do I'm always frozen with indecision and fear of failure and never end up making anything. Oh, well, I'm still working on this one, but I am getting better.
8. Sew at least one item from the Colette sewing handbook. I tried my best here, I really did. I made a muslin of the Pastille dress, but their patterns just don't flatter my shape and aren't really my style I think.
9. Sew more things for the kids. Eh…um. Next.
10. Consider moving from my baby blog here on Tumblr, to a grown-up blog on either Blogger or WordPress. Ta da!
And there we have it. I'm not sure I really want to set myself resolutions as such this year, maybe just a few things I like to try. More like suggestions to myself, rather than rigid resolutions.
- Making pants.
- Making a shirt.
- Making another coat.
This year is going to be a busy/exciting/nerve-racking/stressful/different year. I'm going back to work (part time) after 2 years, my eldest starts school and my son is starting child care. But, with all that, I hope I can find the time to get the ball rolling on our shed/garage plans. We need to knock down an old one and replace it with a large and shiney new one, with a studio space for all my sewing stuff. Yay, a dedicated sewing area! Bring it on 2014!